SREE Welcomes New President and Board Members
On January 1st, Ruth Neild assumed the role of SREE President. She will serve in this role for two years. Steve Fleischmann and Beth Boulay also joined the SREE Board for a three-year term.
SREE thanks out-going President Rebecca Maynard, who will serve on the Board for another year as Past President, and out-going Board members Robert Granger and Sean Reardon for their service.
JREE Adopts Open Science Badges
The SREE Board and JREE Editorial Team are pleased to announce JREE’s support of Open Science Badges. The purpose of the Open Sciences Badge Program is to encourage researchers to share data and materials and to preregister studies, in an effort to promote transparency and reproducibility. Beginning with 2019 submissions, JREE articles that meet the requirements will be recognized with a badge. To learn more, visit JREE author instructions.
JREE Call for Editors
Interested in staying on top of effectiveness research in education and contributing to the important sharing of knowledge that scholarly publishing offers? Apply to be the next Editor-in-Chief of JREE! Prefer to share the workload? Find a co-editor or assemble a team to lead JREE. This is an opportunity to lead a well-respected journal, observe trends and evolution of research in the field, and influence that evolution through the commissioning of special issues, editorials, and/or the adoption of new JREE features.
For more information on the role and how to apply and/or nominate someone, view the full Call for Editors. Interviews will begin in March.
Special Events at the SREE Spring Conference, March 6-9, 2019
The SREE spring conference is just two weeks away. As you plan your time at the conference, please take note of a few new events and changes taking place this year.
Other conference highlights continuing from previous years include the Women in Quantitative Methodology Meeting and Reception, the Career Forum Luncheons, the Hedges Lecture, the Keynote Address, and the Graduate Student Organization Reception. View the full program for details and to start planning your schedule.
- New Member/New Attendee Breakfast, Thursday March 7, 7:30 AM: We invite all attendees who are first-time SREE members and/or first-time meeting attendees to join us for breakfast on Thursday, March 7 at 7:30 AM. This will be an opportunity to meet Board members and the Program Committee, ask questions about SREE and the conference, and meet other attendees new to SREE!
- The Institute of Education Sciences: Plans and Priorities: Thursday March 7, 12:15 PM. Grab a quick lunch and head back to the Fairmont to hear from the IES Director, Mark Schneider, and other IES leaders about the latest IES priorities and programs.
- Thursday, March 7, Evening Dinner Meet-up, 7:30 PM. Travelling solo to the conference or just want to meet new people? There will be a dinner meet-up for those interested in heading out for a casual meal to end the day. Attendees will pay their own way. Meet by the SREE registration desk at 7:30 PM to join.
- Morning Workouts at the Fitness Center, 7:00 AM. Get up and move! The fitness center at the Fairmont will be offering a Rhythm Ride (spin class) at 7:15 am on Thursday and Body Pump at 7 am on Friday. Jump start your day with some exercise before a long day of sessions!
- Keynote Lunch Affinity Tables, Friday 10:30 AM-1:00 PM. When you enter the ballroom for the Keynote Address and lunch on Friday, consider sitting at one of the affinity tables. These tables, aligned with the sections for the Spring 2019 conference, will be labelled with tent cards. We hope that these tables will provide another opportunity for you to network with other attendees working in your specific research area and to continue discussions started during earlier sessions.
TIP: To add a conference session to your personal calendar from the program on the SREE website, click on the calendar icon next to the session title!
Register and reserve your hotel room if you haven’t done so!
Professional Development Workshops March 6, 2019
Make the most of your time at the SREE conference by attending a Professional Development Workshop on Wednesday March 6, 2019. These sessions give you the opportunity to delve into a new tool or method in more depth than you could during a regular conference session. The Spring 2019 workshops are:
A Survey of Methods for Assessing Treatment Effect Variation in Education Impact Evaluations
Luke Miratrix, Harvard Graduate School of Education
Avi Feller, Goldman School, UC Berkeley
Integrating the Examination of Costs into Efficacy Proposals and Field Trials
A. Brooks Bowden, North Carolina State University
Viviana Rodriguez, Columbia University
Using School-Level Data from the Stanford Education Data Archive
Sean Reardon, Stanford University
Andrew D. Ho, Harvard University
Benjamin R. Shear, University of Colorado, Boulder
Erin M. Fahle, St. John’s University
Advanced Methods in Meta-Analysis
Terri Pigott, Loyola University Chicago
Josh Polanin, American Institutes for Research
Elizabeth Tipton, Northwestern University
Ryan Williams, American Institutes for Research
The workshops require a separate registration and cost $100 to attend. Register now. Want to add a workshop to your completed registration? Request a workshop addition by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to SREE's 2019 Institutional Members and Conference Sponsors!
Conference Sponsors: American Institutes for Research, Arnold Ventures, IMPAQ International, Spencer Foundation, WestEd, and the W.T. Grant Foundation
Institutional Members: Abt Associates, American Institutes for Research, Decision Information Resources, Florida State University, IMPAQ International, Johns Hopkins University, MDRC, Michigan State University, New York University, Research for Action, Stanford University, Wake Technical Community College, Westat, and WestEd
Join these organizations in supporting SREE and promoting rigorous educational research. Learn more about Institutional Membership and Sponsorship Opportunities.
This list is current as of 2/20/19.
SREE Members in the News
Do you have news to share? We’d like to include it in our next SREE member newsletter. Send it to email@example.com.